Skip to content

Email notification setup

Hello, all - this should be the most simple issue to solve but I've been working on it for two days without success...

All was fine until I moved from Spectrum to ATT Fiber and had to update this section.

SS is working fine on a dedicated Mac Mini but I cannot get the e-mail notification tab to work. I continue to get error messages when trying to use my iCloud e-mail or Gmail address for notifications. I have entered SMTP server details (info from Google and Apple themselves) without success. Every test comes back as "authentication failed."

Any suggestions are appreciated! It seems like this should be almost automated but I must be doing something stupid...😫

Comments

• For "Send emails using", I have selected "Email relay service" and it works for me. If you want to use GMail or Apple, you probably need to create an app specific password on their security setup pages.

• Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was able to get it working via the email relay but I got a scolding for having too many sent messages, probably due to my settings and number of cameras. I was trying to get an alternative working in case I run afoul of the service in the future.

• Apple's related article is here

https://support.apple.com/en-us/102525

The key point is that you'd need an App-Specific-Password in your setup.

• The above comments are correct that it's an app-specific password you will need here. I hope this will resolve the problem for you.

If you are using the email relay service, and your system tries to send emails too frequently (more than 20 emails within 30 minutes), you will get a warning in the log and some emails will be blocked, but at no point will you be banned from the service or anything - you will simply be missing a few emails.