Skip to content

MacOS sonoma

Hi

I have deactivatede all "sleep" functions in Sonoma, but never the less, after a while it looses connection and I cant access it through screen sharing, its simply not there, and the iPhone SS app...my Mac is "headless" so I have to force shutdown and start again for SS to work again. Any experience with this?? Is there anything I miss about Sonoma sleep ?

Thanks

John

Comments

• The first thing to try is to install a dummy monitor adaptor (search Amazon for "hdmi dummy" or "hdmi display emulator"). This keeps the GPU awake, and we recommend using one of these for all headless installations.

Check also that the option to allow automatic sleep is not enabled in SecuritySpy under Settings > General.

If the above doesn't do it, you may be looking at a complete system re-install, because what you are describing shouldn't be happening, and could indicate a fundamental problem with the Mac or the macOS installation.

Please let us know how you get on.

• edited December 2023

I got a HDMI dummy, and the settings are imported from old installation, no sleep or things like that active. I just resat and reinstalled sonoma, still, after a few minuts, it looses connection, but in these minuts it works just fine.

• edited December 2023

Found this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255175234?sortBy=best&page=1

But I dont get why SS also looses connection, it should be independant of screen sharing. What does everbody else have checket in “sharing” on MacOS Sonoma? I have “screen sharing” and “remote login” ….should anything else be checked?

• Hm..if i disable LAN and only connect through Wi-Fi, it works...any one else with this problem???

• This points to the Ethernet interface as the source of the problem. Things you can try:

• Deleting and re-adding the Ethernet service under System Settings > Network (however the macOS re-install that you did should have had this effect)
    • Try a different Ethernet cable
    • If you have a router that is wired to an Ethernet switch, with the Mac connected into the switch, try connecting it to the router instead if it has a free Ethernet port (normally we wouldn't recommend connecting the Mac into the router - everything should normally be connected into the Ethernet switch - but this would be a good test to check whether there is some Ethernet issue between the Mac and the switch)
    • Assuming you are using an Ethernet switch to connect everything into, do you have a different one to try?
    • Instead of the Mac's built-in Ethernet, try a USB Ethernet interface instead.
  • PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!! 🙂

The problem was, AVB/EAV combined with 2,5Gbit Ethernet, read more here: https://www.iwl.com/blog/apple-mac-mini-ethernet-bug

Damn, this problem was a b*tch, I knew it was software related and a Sonoma problem, I had zero problems with my old 2012 Mac Mini. The weird thing is, that my Mac never lost connection completely, there was link between the Mac, switch and router and with 2,5Gbit speed, it was pingable and SS recorded from cameras, I just couldnt get "Screen sharing" to connect and the same with SS App...well, I could, but only for a couple of minuts. When I hooked up a monitor to the Mac Mini, the Internet connection was also gone, when I disconnected the LAN cable and connected it again, it was back online for a short while. Try Google it...there is a ton of info about it and solutions...I tried most of them 😳

This worked, and the "sluggish" thing that I experienced with Screen sharing, was also gone, I hope this can help other with the same problem 🙂

• Very interesting - I haven't heard of this before. I'm glad you managed to locate the problem, and I'll remember this for the future. Nice work - problems like this can be very frustrating and time consuming to get to the bottom of!

• Thanks, im glad to finally figured it out, and adillity to share …thanks for really quick reply, love this forum and your software

• Oh, I didn’t mention that the NIC in my Mac Mini is 10Gbit, I dont know if this problem is relevant if the NIC is 1Gbit…

• We recently ran into an issue where an M2 Mac Mini w 10GB NIC was replaced by an M1 with a standard 1GB NIC. The M1 seems to be working well except for sporadic Kernel Panics.

Those seem to indicate the NIC.

"panicString" : "panic(cpu 6 caller 0xfffffe0021f10530): \"apcie[2:lan-1gb]::handleCompletionTimeoutInterrupt: completion timeout…"
      "panicString" : "panic(cpu 4 caller 0xfffffe001a33c530): \"apcie[2:lan-1gb]::handleCompletionTimeoutInterrupt: completion timeout…"

So I'm about to try a USB ethernet adapter instead.

Given our ~45 cameras, I'm wondering if there'll be any real benefit to ordering a 2.5GB NIC vs using a 1GB NIC I may already have?

• Hi @YesThatAllen your diagnosis of the panic is correct. We have actually seen this quite a few times recently, where the built-in Ethernet interface is the cause of panics. This seems to be a macOS bug or even a Mac hardware/firmware problem. Replacing this with a USB-Ethernet adaptor is indeed the solution to go for.

To check whether you would benefit from a 2.5 Gbps NIC, check the Network section of Activity Monitor on this Mac, and look at the "Data received/sec" number. A 1 Gbps NIC will max out at around 100 MB/s (MegaBytes per second), so if the current throughput is anywhere near this limit then the extra speed of the 2.5 Gbps may be beneficial (as long as the network switch that the Mac is connecting into supports this higher speed of course).

• edited April 12

I ran into this issue as well. Really vexing and sporadic KP's with 1 gb NIC on Mini M2 Pro. Could happen a couple times /day or go days without an event.

The solution that finally worked was going to a 2.5 gb/USB-C adapter so we were no longer under the PCIE problem driver.

RSHTECH USB C to 2.5G Ethernet Adapter Aluminum Thunderbolt 3 Type C  is the one I use on several machines. It runs cooler than others I tried.

(Also changed our camera backbone switches all to 2.5 gb as well)

• edited April 13

The 1gb ethernet associated kernel panics here match what you report...

panic(cpu 6 caller 0xfffffe002783a888): "apcie[2:lan-1gb]::handleCompletionTimeoutInterrupt: completion timeout linksts=0xab000200 pcielint=0x20804010 linkcdmsts=0x00000100 (ltssm 0x0=DETECT_QUIET)\n" @AppleT6020PCIePort.cpp:1335

It seems the Apple driver for that NIC KP's when traffic gets heavy like on our over 20 camera setups.

Anyways, have not had a recurrence since changing to the RSHTECH USB-C 2.5G adapter instead of the built-in 1 gb NIC.

• Following @JohnKr 's link above, I disabled AVB/EAV on the built in 1GB NIC

Since that changed, I've gone 3 days without a Kernel Panic (vs 2-3 times a day before).

It looks like my traffic maxes at 14MB, so if the system remains stable, maybe I don't need another NIC at all..

I won't be back onsite for another 10 days, so I'll have plenty of time to order a NIC if I need to. @guykuo thanks for the recommendation.. I'll order the RSHTECH one if I decide to go that route.

Thanks all!

• I will remember the AVB/EAV issue in case I end up using a native NIC again.

BTW, the KP's were happening on the 1 gb built-in NIC with inbound traffic just over 30 Mbytes/sec.