Skip to content

Dome or Bullet IP Camera...?

edited August 2017 in SecuritySpy
For outdoor use, mounted to the soffit of a residence, is it preferred to have a dome or bullet style camera....?

Thanks,

Robert

Comments

• I should have mentioned turret as well. I guess the best performing outdoor cameras are turret or bullet style, from what I can tell. Also, the new turret style cams have a single set of IR illumination as poise to the ring of IR.... (LEDs?)

Thanks,

Robert
  • Hi Robert,

For mounting on a wall, bullet cameras are better as they typically have more freedom of movement/rotation to get the exact framing you want. However if the mounting is upside down on the underside of a soffit then either will do the job just fine.

Some bullets have the wires coming out the back of the actual camera, rather than the mount, so this exposes the wires which can be unsightly and a point of weakness. Conversely, all dome/turret cameras have the wires coming out of the mounting plate, so they will be completely hidden and protected after installation.
  • It seems like turret cams are more popular than dome cameras for outdoor use. BTW: when I clicked the link for the first two cams on your 2017 recommend list, they were shown to be discontinued or no longer available or something like that.

Thanks,

Robert